Frequently Asked Questions

The following is a list of frequently asked questions regarding the Pozen Family Center for Human Rights. Please look through this list before contacting the Pozen Family Center for Human Rights offices. Each answer contains links to pages and sites that provide more detailed information.

To help your search, the questions are divided into FAQs for University of Chicago students, human rights activists, and the general public. Should you require further help, or your question is not answered below, please contact us.



Q: How can I find out about upcoming Pozen Family Center for Human Rights events and related human rights information?

A: In addition to the webiste, the maintains a Human Rights listserve which includes a weekly bulletin and other announcements about events, job and volunteer opportunities, and related human rights items of interest to University of Chicago faculty, students, and staff. Sign up for the listserv here.

Q: Can I concentrate in Human Rights at the University of Chicago?

A: The Pozen Family Center for Human Rights currently offers a Minor in the College, but not a Major. There are no formal concentrations for graduate students. For more information on the Minor, please visit our Curriculum page. All College students are welcome to take Human Rights courses as electives.

Graduate students from academic departments and professional schools can use electives in their formal academic programs to take human rights courses. Please check your degree program requirements to make sure you can take human rights courses as electives. In the past, graduate students enrolled in human rights courses have come doctoral programs, as well as from terminal Masters programs such as MAPSS, CIR, MAPH, and professional schools including Public Policy, Social Service Administration, Law, and Medicine.

Q: Who is eligible for human rights program sponsored summer internships?

A: Only registered University of Chicago students are eligible for funding support and internship placement through the Pozen Family Center for Human Rights. If you are a registered graduate or undergraduate student in any discipline or professional school, you are eligible to apply for internship funding. Applications for a highly competitive process are accepted during Fall quarter. Visit our Internships page to find out more about the process and to get a copy of the application.

Q: How can I get help finding a job in human rights?

A: For general job search help, please visit the Career Advising and Planning Services (CAPS) office in Ida Noyes Hall or visit the CAPS website. You may also want to sign up for the Pozen Family Center for Human Rights E-Bulletin or join our LinkedIn Group. Job announcements, internships, and volunteer opportunities in human rights are frequently posted in both places.

Q: Does the Pozen Family Center for Human Rights offer funding to graduate students for research?

A: In the past, the Pozen Family Center for Human Rights has put out a Request for Proposals (RFP) to support doctoral research. The Center only accepts applications for research support after an RFP has gone out. Please visit graduate student resources to find out if there is a current RFP.


Q: Does the Pozen Family Center for Human Rights invite human rights activists to the University?

A: The Pozen Family Center for Human Rights invites activists involved in issues of interest to our students to campus to present talks and meet with students. The Center is particularly interested in activists whose work is part of an ongoing national and international campaign. Please contact us for more information.

Q: Does the Pozen Family Center for Human Rights still sponsor the Human Rights Activist Fellows Program?

A: In the past, the Pozen Family Center for Human Rights sponsored human rights activists for residencies at the University of Chicago. The Center is NOT accepting applications for Activist Fellows at the present time.



Q: Can the general public attend publicized Pozen Family Center for Human Rights events?

A: All Pozen Family Center for Human Rights events are free and open to the public. Please check specific event press releases and publicity for details. Visit our Events page for more information.

Q: How do I get to the University of Chicago?

A: Please visit the University of Chicago's Maps website for driving and public transportation options for reaching Hyde Park and the University of Chicago campus.

Q: Whom do I contact if I want to post a job/internship or public event announcement that might be of interest to University students, faculty and the campus community?

A: If you want to publicize a human rights related job, internship or event, please feel free to contact us. Please note: The Pozen Family Center for Human Rights publicizes a variety of Chicago and Midwest area events through its listserve, but as a University entity the Pozen Center does not sponsor specific political causes.